Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Let's Get Started

As Maria would say "Let's start at the beginning,  A very good place to start"

The first thing you want to do is make a list of want you need, want or desire.  Use an excel spreadsheet, paper and pencil, or an app on your phone.  I don't care how you do it, just make a list!  :) 

The next piece of advice I give anyone when they want to start saving money in the grocery store (besides using coupons) is to read your circular. 

The circular tells you what is on sale and how much it costs.  I know it's pretty basic, but I recently met someone who never looked at the circular.  I would say she went grocery shopping "blind", walking up and down the aisles looking to see what is on sale and what she needed.  Shopping blind is the best way to overspend in the supermarket.

I personally look at 3 or 4 circulars to see who has the best deals for the items I want.  Going to 2, 3 or 4 stores may sound crazy, but when you are trying to spend less money at the grocers, it pays to shop around.  We all shop around for the best deal for a TV or car, why not do it on groceries?  All if not most of the local grocery stores have their circulars on line, so you don't even need to leave your house to see if it is worth a trip to Shop Rite, Acme, Shop 'n Stop or Giant. 

This is what I do.  With my list next to me, I look at each circular and see if any of the stores have my items on sale and I, hopefully, will have a coupon for it.  The good part at looking on line, most stores will also post the next weeks circular no later than mid week, so if I have something on my list that isn't on sale the current week and I am not desperate for it, I will wait until it goes on sale the following week and get it then. 

Is couponing a lot of work? Kinda, but not really once you develop the skills needed, it is easy and I think a lot of fun.  I love looking for deals and finding a great buy!

I will share my deals and great buys with you all,  please post your great finds, savings, and deals you have found! 

Happy Shopping!






1 comment:

  1. I also suggest shoplocal.com. You enter what you want to buy & they search the circulars & websites for you. They have some grocery stores, but not all. Still, a good source.

    ReplyDelete